Saturday, July 28, 2007

well, there are a couple ways you could go...


Let's say you live on Loire Ave in Poway, California, outside of San Diego (above). You're trying to get to a house on Charlotte Terrace in Ridgefield, New Jersey (below). When you look at the map to try to figure out how to get there, you wouldn't think it should matter which house on Charlotte Terrace you're trying to get to, but you'd be wrong.

If you're heading for house #1, you'll take a right at the end of your street, and drive through Las Vegas, Denver, and Iowa. To get to house #2, take a left, drive through Phoenix, Albuquerque, and St. Louis.

Both trips will take the same amount of time (1 day and 18 hours), but route #1 is 29 miles longer (2,839 vs 2,810 for route #2).

Next time you get directions from Google Maps, try dragging the blue route line or the start/finish icons; the map will dynamically adjust your route and tell you how long and how far as you drag.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you manage to even to do this?

Of of some whim?

Or were you THAT bored?

lol.

-Theresa

Rob Strong said...

one time I got to thinking about this sort of thing, when I was getting mapquest directions from boston to Texas, and it sent me a completely different way to Austin (via Buffalo and points west) than to Houston (south through NYC and Virginia). Now that Google has this drag-and-drop feature, it's really easy to come up with an extreme example. Also I'm a nerd. Also I have too much time on my hands. So sue me! Better yet, give me a job.

Anonymous said...

I'd give you a job if I had the money.

Actually, I really want to get some portraits done with my sibs and I for my parents. LOL.

I even let you get real "artsy" on me, lol.

But alas, you're so farrrrrr away!

Theresa

Mark Mulligan said...

Rob: As if I didn't need anymore reasons to love you, then you go and make a blog post like this. You're awesome with a capital awe (and a lowercase some).

Mark Mulligan said...

Oh, and you should read Douglas Hofstadter's new book "I am a Strange Loop"

About This Guy

Grantham, New Hampshire, United States
I take pictures for fun, and sometimes money. Unless otherwise noted, all pictures on this blog are Copyright 2007-2010 The Valley News, or Copyright 2007-2010 Rob Strong. In any event, you must contact me directly to license any images found herein: rob.strong at gmail.com. Don't steal pictures.
Free Website Counter